Wednesday 16 November 2011

My Jethu



My Jethu, Mr. Anshu Banerjee, had been a Father to me. From being instrumental in admitting me to one of the best schools in Kolkata to pampering me with all sorts of luxuries that a child can never dream of, he brought me up with ethics and values. He instilled in me a liberal thought process by introducing me to the path of The Mother and Sri Aurobindo. He taught me the importance of life’s struggles, to always accept challenges towards growth and to broaden my horizon about life. His brilliant and unmatched wit and humour was a part of my growing years and reminiscing those unforgettable moments always bring me great joy.

As a child I fondly remember him painting many a canvas, writing and reading a variety of literature. Jethu used read the works of Sri Aurobindo, explain the interesting world of the ‘Impressionist’ painters and gave me Reiki healing while I was recuperating after my surgery. I recall his constant encouragement to be optimistic and feel fortunate and blessed by the Almighty. His influence in my life brought me in contact with many important personalities, of visiting unthinkable places and it’s all because of my Jethu’s upbringing that I’ve been able to come this far in life.

Often I played Jethu’s bar-tender and fixed him a drink or two. He liked to take a medium peg (he called it Mejo) and I had mastered the art of fixing the same for him. Never in my adult years did he offer me a drink. It was only once when I was vacationing in Kolkata that he surprised me by offering me some wine.

It’s disheartening that such a loveable and towering personality had to suffer towards the end. Although it is difficult to accept that my Jethu is no more, I’m sure his blessings are always there for me and he’ll remain in my thoughts forever. Let’s hope I can live up to his aspirations and be his ideal Gadai Master.

5 comments:

  1. Gadai Master.

    You are indeed privileged to have had the "witty gardener" nurture you into adulthood.

    I had just 14 years of his grooming. And that was enough to last me a lifetime.

    Sumit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Garry....very touching...you r good..very good..no wonder...why.....am sure his blessings will be with u forever.....long way to go lady.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. When we look back, we discover such persons who have influenced our values and thought processes, besides propelling us in our lives and careers. A touching tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most heartfelt well written.Memories, blessings they are a part of us.

    ReplyDelete