Saturday 20 August 2011

My Beautiful World

I’ve been living in this modest two-roomed flat on top of a building for the past five years now. When I moved in here I literally felt on top of the world. My friends and family loved my den and it has been a venue for many a small get-togethers in the past.


The view from the terrace is of a green field and lots of trees on one side and of some more buildings on the other. The sun rises from the far end of the field and sets behind the buildings. I marveled at the thought that I get to feel the morning freshness, see the clear blue sky, the starry night, hear the happy chirping of the birds and enjoy the seasons despite being in the middle of a big, polluted city where all this cannot be thought of.


My house is close to the airport but never was I disturbed by the planes. As the years passed a new airport runway was constructed and the aircrafts now fly right over my head in their new route, one every 1.5 minutes. My peace and tranquility have been jeopardized by the noise to such an extent that watching TV, talking on the phone and talking to someone has become quite impossible now. Sometimes I feel I’m facing a 9/11 disaster right in my living room. This has made me hate the sight of aircrafts.


When I gradually came to terms with this constant noisy atmosphere, I noticed, to my horror, one Sunday afternoon that, the field and the trees overlooking my terrace did not exist any more. This spoilt not only a playground for the local kids, a walking track for the health conscious, but my view as well. I always thought the greenery was to stay. Apparently, the authorities are constructing the road there connecting to the other end of the town. That’s all good, but I’m left with lots of dust and mud and ugly brown construction site with machines to look at.


Although I had plans to move out of the best place in the world which has been my home till date, I've stayed put. I decided to live with the surrounding pains. Today, the green playground (although a smaller one) has been relayed and the road beyond it has been extended. Hence, I’m glad modern construction did not kill my environment. The sun continues to treat me with golden and pink sunrise and sunsets everyday and I'm so glad I changed my mind about leaving this paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment